Electricity derived from wind energy has been stymied at 5MW capacity for the propeller driven generator (HAWT) in spite of extensive R&D to exceed that 5MW threshold. Since it is required to increase the effective area of the wind turbine to increase its power, the diameter of the propeller blades has steadily increased to where the propeller length is limited by the strength of the propeller material. Propellers in general are characteristically dangerous and susceptible to breakage due to micro-bursts or other variations in wind density.
- A typical home in the USA consumes approximately 866 kWh/month
- A 1 kilowatt solar system takes 2 days to install and requires approximately 100sf to install at a cost of approx U$10,000.00
- A stand alone solar system requires battery support for periods of low or no sun light.
- At least a 30 kW system would be required for a typical household.
- A household solar system would require 3,000sf for installation at a cost of approximately U$300,000.00. Incentives will reduce the cost to approximately U$100,000.00
- A 10MW HP/VAWT requires approximately 2.78 acres. An HAWT 10MW Wind Farm occupies several times that area.